Blog Archive

Tuesday 28 March 2017

Robin`s Nest in Witch`s Hat

Steve has been busy making yurt doors so I`ve been to the garden on my own again.
It was a lovely sunny day. Tim was busy shepherding sheep into different fields, lambs and their mums were safely grazing and the donkeys happily chomping in their field.
For anyone planning to come to the farm in the next few weeks, you are in for a treat....
....primroses in the lane....
....the nearby woods full of anemones....

















....the lambing season about to begin.

My main job today was to fill the old water trough.
I cut out some turves and laid 3 slabs then I wheeled the trough on to that.
I got a barrow load of well-rotted manure from the barn. I loaded this on top of a good layer of polystyrene, to keep the weight down.
Next I pinched nice soil from beds all over the garden.
Finally I planted it up with dahlias.
I hope it provides a colourful spectacle in the summer.

By then I was ready for a tea-break.
Anne came along, in between jobs and we discussed lots of ideas.
We went to the cob shed to get poor old Gandalf out.....this might be his last year.
Despite being inside for the winters, he is beginning to show signs of wear.
We were just looking at some glittery curtains, when we noticed some dried leaves and mossy bits on the floor. Up above we discovered that a robin has built a nest in the witch`s hat, which has been hanging there ready for the next fairy days.
The pair of robins were around the garden. They are flying in and out under the eaves.
No eggs yet but I will keep you posted.
Around the garden, blossom continues to delight me, buds are fattening on the new quince tree and on the crab apple. The grass has had its first cut thanks to Nigel.

















The Jury`s Yellow camellia is flowering but looking a bit sickly. It could do with some feeding up.
The little magnolia stellata is trying its best..
And a few daffodils made it through the winter.
After a good chat with Dave, the rabbit man, I came home at 5.30.





2 comments:

  1. Really looks like spring. Can't wait to see more of the robins nest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I`d put a photo on but it doesn`t seem to be there.

    ReplyDelete