Blog Archive

Sunday 19 November 2017

November Butterflies

We`ve had such lovely sunny days....perfect for 
the last jobs of the year. 
The garden has been most atmospheric with deep shade, bright sunshine and a misty feel to the pictures.
We`ve had some frosts so the priority has been to lift the dahlia tubers and get them under cover.
Anne got the ball rolling and I had a nice surprise when I found the first row lifted and already in the polytunnel.
I replaced them with bellis daisies sown from seed and myosotis from around the garden. 
Anne and I did the rest between us with me 
cutting back and her lifting.
It was good to share this job as it`s hard work.
Sad to see the bed empty, but Steve was able to put a few loads of our own compost there.
The tubers, numbering 43, were fantastic and I labelled as many as I could.
They were laid in the middle beds...
....covered with thick permeable plastic...
....then carpet on top held down with bricks.
All snug and warm for winter.
Talking about snug and warm, here are the tortoises already hibernating.
We thought they had gone off on an adventure as they are sometimes want to do.
But they had buried themselves altogether in the corner of their run. They had to be lifted very carefully so as not to wake them up.
Later Anne will take them somewhere even warmer.
There were quite a few raggedy butterflies around, sunning themselves on the last straw flowers.
The sparkling raindrops on the purple kale were like glittering jewels.
Paula and I set to on this flower bed, her trimming honeysuckle and me trying to thin out matted Michaelmus daisies and Iris Siberica.
The crumbly soil was turning over beautifully which surprised me after the heavy rain last night.
Only half done though.
I brought the sale priced geraniums home and potted them on in my greenhouse for the winter.
So I filled the old water trough with myosotis and I also hope to buy some half price bulbs at the end of November. 
 Then it was home for a late lunch, a good rest and then more work on our last raised bed at home, with the sun already sinking.
A good days work.
We will sleep well tonight.





2 comments:

  1. What a busy time. We've had a hint of a frost but everything is so wet here I've not been tempted to go out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I thought digging would be a no no but it was fine. Glad to work in the sun though.

    ReplyDelete