Blog Archive

Thursday 12 September 2024

A Beautiful Autumn Day

Freshwinds Garden was stunning today. It began just a little chillier than we`ve been used to, but it soon warmed up. The sky was as blue as blue, the clouds were big balls of cotton wool, the sun shone and the insects were out in force, especially the butterflies.

We made a start on the compost heaps last time, so my first job was to clear the path to make it easier. I thought it was going to be a long-winded affair but it was so much quicker than expected and I even managed to begin separating nettles from chicken wire!! Not my favourite task. I have plenty of nettle stings to prove it.

When I was out of the way Steve began digging out the compost and it wasn`t too bad.


Once they are either emptied or turned, this lot is waiting to be `homed` properly. A garden this size produces a lot of waste
(which is never wasted)

We are still harvesting tomatoes from the polytunnel though our vines at home are mostly finished. And there are always stray potato plants round the compost heaps.

Here is the next clearing job.

Elsewhere round the garden, beautiful autumn colours abound.


 





My brother came on his daily 10,000 step walk so we had our welcome teabreak with him.
 
Here are a few views around the garden.
 




So after a very busy morning it was home with my usual bunch of dahlias and a snapped sunflower, for lunch in the glorious sunshine.
A perfect day.
 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful fluffy clouds and Autumn colours. I expect you missed the frost that caught us this week - far too early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no that's far too early. Evenings have been colder bur days very hot.

    ReplyDelete