I am really hoping that this drought is not going to be the norm but I also thought it was important to record the reality.
I am well aware that in some parts of the world this would be considered mild, but here in UK it is unusual. It is hard to watch our beloved gardens suffer and our expensive plants struggling. The earlier nurturing of seeds and young plants, raised lovingly and with such care, seems to have been futile in some cases. Our yields are definitely down. Vegetables have either bolted or died off early.
Although we have no hosepipe bans here, 40% of the country are under restrictions. We are being very careful with our water consumption and saving what we can.
Some of the good old stalwarts such as Michaelmus daisy are drooping but I have high hopes that they will not die.Even the sunflowers are dying .... those that actually got away and there were some that didn`t even get started.
Dahlias have wilted and keeled over. I`ve never seen that happen before.
Anne partly topped up the pond from elsewhere, as we were worried about using the big tank .... that keeps the polytunnel going.
The grass looks truly dreadful but we know that will recover as soon as it rains.
On Saturday we had a national alert on our mobile phones warning us not to use or purchase outdoor barbeques so no campfires for yurters or campers or anyone else.
Wildfires have been raging in parts of UK.
And on a brighter note to end this blog entry ..... where are the butternut squashes getting their water from? We have not watered them.
Insects are finding what they need.
And in the chipped bark path ....
...... and finally, rain is possibly forecast for tonight,
fingers crossed.










No comments:
Post a Comment