Blog Archive

Monday 30 January 2023

Turning a Corner

I felt a distinct turning of a corner today....

sitting in the sunshine for a teabreak

a huge bumblebee spotted

glorious birdsong

and actually wanting to be outdoors

It is very unusual for me not to want to be outside but over the last couple of weeks I have felt a need to wrap up and snuggle, almost hibernating.

And of course I have been nursing a cough which is on its way out at long last.

At the garden, our main job was to cut down the damson tree. It has got rather out of control. It has grown too tall and unwieldy for the space. Despite cutting out the middle a few years back, it continued to grow upwards. It overshadowed the surrounding pear and apple trees.

It took us a while, using loppers, secateurs and a pruning saw. Later Steve used a larger saw. Whilst I cut it into manageable pieces and carted it to the bonfire area, Steve dug it out, sawing through larger roots.

The hole was filled in and the logs stored, ready for either burning or craftwork.

We ended the morning by pruning the Fiesta apple, which had a brilliant crop last year. I must have done something right in January 2022.

The Fiesta is mid-picture.

We saw a huge bumblebee back and forth into this birdbox.

Oh that wonderful sound.

Next we need to find out the name of the insect that spoils the plum fruit and treat the tree.

I will miss the damsons and the blossom but at least I won`t have to worry about those late frosts. 

3 comments:

  1. Weather is picking up now is the time to be catching up on those Winter months. Pruning and dead heading getting ready for Spring. I’ve noticed the birds are starting to sing now and yes I’ve spotted a huge bumblebee just flying around. Well done Jen and Steve keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The longer days are quite noticeable now aren’t they but I’m quite happy to stay indoors all week. I just wish the weekends were a bit sunnier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the sun is out, I want to be out in it.

      Delete