Tuesday, 13 June 2017

Fairy Garden in a Trailer

Earlier this year Anne cut the top from the old chicken run trailer and we created a new fairy garden in it.
It was filled with polystyrene pieces to keep it light, with a layer of soil on top.
Last week it was a blank canvas 
.....always a bit daunting.
This week.....well you can read all about it.
 
We stood around our "blank canvas" and wondered where to start.
So this is what we did.
We scratched out a winding path with a twig.
We decided where the little house would go.
We lined the path with little glass pebbles and put a layer of builders sand in between.
The path has now been laid with very fine shingle.
The tiny crochet toadstools, I made some time ago.
They are glued to long kebab sticks to keep them stable.
 
Next we gathered some plants.....sedums, lobelia, campanula.....things that will stay small.
There are also a couple of larger ferns to help with the feeling of smallness.
I made two tiny fences by cutting thin bamboo canes into lengths and winding tightly with wire at the top and the bottom.
Here it is in the foreground.
I used quite a lot of the plant "Mind your own business." 
And I found renewable sphagnum  moss and stuffed that into the corners and round the edges.It remains to be seen what happens to that over a period of time.
Steve made me the little house and I made an incredible mess round my living room sorting through all the materials I wanted to use to decorate it.



 I used pale green chalk paint for the walls, a hanging basket liner for the thatched roof and various glittery bits for finer detail.
The whole lot was spray-varnished several times which should help to make it more weather proof. 
We also added an arch...
....a swing.....
......and a hammock.
 

 









Several little fairies were dotted around, as well as a tiny wheelbarrow that Anne found which I filled with tiny artificial flowers.
 
The final addition today was the gypsy caravan, made by Steve from a log. I decorated this last night.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It is funny to think that this time last week, the trailer was our "blank canvas."
Now here it is waiting for people, especially children, to enjoy.
 
I am reminded of the walks to my Granny`s house, passing by gardens with gnomes and tiny ponds....they were eagerly anticipated and delighted us children.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Friday, 9 June 2017

Corkscrew Radish.

This blog entry was going to be called something else but I forgot to take the matching pictures.
Today is all about happy accidental colour blends and cob shed tidying .... that, was due to intermittent showers.
I found lots of goodies for the new fairy garden.

Before and after.
I planted the last box of helichrysum and 12 nicotiania sylvestris.
 











Some beautiful combinations today....





 The cardoons get bigger and bigger.




 Various views.
A few gems in the tiny nursery, plus a few things in the polytunnel.
The redcurrants are nearly ready to harvest.

Turn your back and a path is blocked!!
 A new area about to be developed.
And finally the long-awaited corkscrew radish!!
PS If like me you tie your sunflowers to small sticks when they are quite small, don`t forget to cut those ties as the stems get bigger. I found several very tight ones when I checked the growth today.

Friday, 2 June 2017

What a difference a week makes

We have been away for a week to Crete.
Anne and Hollie very ably looked after the garden for us.
The growth is amazing, with sunshine and showers.
We were looking forward to visiting in order to see what changes there were.
We were not disappointed.
The elder is in full flower, viewed here through the hornbeam caterpillar hedge.

The pumpkins had really taken away.

Gooseberries on the go.....which reminds me, I must cover them over.
The lushness of growth is staggering.
There were quite a few campers around.....half term holidays.
Some nice comments which are always so welcome.

The bees and butterflies are loving the scabious.

My main jobs were tying up.....sunflowers, sweetpeas (not doing too well) and tomatoes.
It was baking hot. Lovely camping weather.


















Lots to do today, when we visit again.

Tuesday, 16 May 2017

Surprising Seedlings and Sunflowers

After a weekend away, we came back to find everything thriving at the garden, due to some very welcome rain.
The first flower I spotted was this fantastic poppy. Lots more buds to come too.
My main job was to get the sunflowers in.
They are good strong plants so fingers crossed.
In the polytunnel, I planted 12 aubergines.
Some protection needed....they did get nibbled last year which set them back weeks. They look a bit pathetic but actually they are quite nice plants with a good root system.
The bed behind needs some work before I plant the sweet peppers.
The lettuce have moved on a bit since my last post.
Behind them you can see the spare tomatoes which have taken away nicely.
We have lost all our cucumbers this year. They were good strong plants, but all have succumbed to mildew.
Now I am reliant on my brother for extra plants. 
Even our courgettes are having a problem.
Steve noticed that since we have begun watering in the polytunnel, dozens of morning glory seedlings are emerging.
Here is a better picture of the pruned damson tree.
The dahlias are starting to shoot up.
Monty Don was talking about pinching out on the BBC.
Personally I don`t think it is necessary.
The idea was to produce more flowers. 
 
 This will be our next job....clearing ready for courgettes and pumpkins.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Looking good at the moment....
.....euphorbia.....
 ......irises.....


......foxgloves, iris and aquilegia......



 
 

 
 
 



 
 
......artichokes.
The caterpillar hedge will need cutting soon.
The cardoons have gone bonkers.

There is much exciting work going on towards our fairy days.
However, it is all secret.