Blog Archive

Sunday 21 October 2012

Fantastic fungi

We have only been to the garden to fetch vegetables due to continuing bad weather, but what a sight awaited me.....though I did have to look carefully in some places; the amazing array of fungi, mainly on the decomposing chipped bark. Even though the day was dull and wet, there were still fascinating things to see.
I let Steve pick the sopping wet veg. whilst I took lots of photos.




 
I have tried to identify them but it is not easy to be sure. The second picture shows cup fungus. We have had Orange Peel cup fungus in our own garden. It is very bright.

 The wild flower area is going to be cleared next but we will leave the plants lying on the ground to make the most of the seed heads for next year`s flowers.

 The dahlias are still going strong though the colours are fading.

Hollie and Tom are drying off in the greenhouse.

We have taken short canes and posts inside to keep dry. As you can see there is a good crop of parsley plants for the winter, if the rabbits don`t get them and the tagetes is still going.
 The mint has plenty of new growth after a drastic haircut last month.

 The slugs have had a good old go at the brassicas.


 The fourth compost bin is made. It will soon be full.

 This is my next job....the path. The newly dug area on the raised bed will be perfect for carrots next year.
Here is today`s harvest.
Can`t wait for some better weather to continue our clearing up at the garden. There is still so much to do.
Next Friday there`s a bonfire party at the farm. Think the big pumpkin might make an appearance as either a lantern or soup! Will try to post some photos.

















4 comments:

  1. It looks like Hollie & Tom are dancing off to the greenhouse!
    The fungi is brilliant at the moment. I have id'ed a couple - the beautiful green one is, I think, Verdigris Agaric and the great ones that look like the coconut mushroom sweets (kind of) are Magpie Inkcaps. They're fabulous.
    Rotten slugs - public enemy number 1 this year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the identification. I did try but I needed photos really and I only had a book of painted illustrations. Paula says I need to remember them now.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the fungai is amazing. I really like the first photo and the green one looks pretty cool too. I've never seen anything like this before. It's all very interesting :) x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to know which ones are highly poisonous. I think the number this year is due to the very damp weather. I`ve never seen some of them before either.

    ReplyDelete