Blog Archive

Saturday 15 December 2012

Carols in the barn

We have had a lovely day. 
The postman came with a big Christmas parcel from my Aunty. It was exciting. 
 Can there be any better way of starting the day?
It is a parcel done up in the proper way including Christmas stickers.

Today we made a short visit to the garden for vegetables. Everywhere is very wet and muddy.
Tim was busy getting the barn and yard ready for Carols in the Barn. We helped to sweep some areas.
This is an annual event held in aid of the charity Farm Africa. It is very special as we sing well-known carols, surrounded by the animals, sitting on hay bales.
Then its yummy mince pies, hot sausage rolls and mulled wine.
My sister was busy this morning making 40 mince pies. Her mince pies really are the best.

The evening was well-attended and we trust that everyone was generous with their donations. I wanted to film some of the singing to post on this blog but my best camera battery had run out.
I did get some photos at half time.


Quite a few orbs around for those interested. 

Our own Christmas tree is now up indoors and our outdoor lights have been lit since Advent Day.
They are very modest in comparison to some but I think they are very pretty. I enjoy driving down our dark lane and seeing them all lit up.


Last night I completed the rag doll fairy for my great-niece. I haven`t made one in quite a while and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Years ago I made two or three every year which were raffled for my sister`s Brownie pack Christmas fayres. I think I spent  more time choosing all the fabrics and trimmings than I did actually making her.


This year`s plot boxes are complete. Most of the contents are made using vegetables, fruit or flowers from our garden. Some examples are jam, chutneys, dried herbs and lavender bags, but also includes sloe gin, patchwork owls, home-made beeswax candles, clove oranges and packets of home-saved seeds.
We have made up 6 boxes this year and only give them to people who really appreciate the contents.




1 comment:

  1. I know where that parcel came from :-) Funny, as I also know the story of how it was wrapped in the post office as the original brown paper was too small; the trauma of cutting the string too short, forgetting to take scissors and the worry that it wouldn't arrive in one piece! I'm glad to hear it did!!

    The carols, lights and angel look very Christmassy and the plot boxes look fabulous. Not long now...!

    ReplyDelete