Blog Archive

Tuesday 25 July 2017

Goose Grass,Thistles and Hops

Everything is going at full pelt and after a long weekend staying at the yurts, there is plenty to catch up with in both gardens.
The morning has been spent freezing tomatoes and making up soup packs....a great success last winter. Today`s contained cucumbers and runner beans. I also made more blackcurrant jam.
The afternoon was spent in our own garden.
Yesterday we were at Freshwinds Garden for harvesting, watering and deadheading, as well as trying to find the bottom hedge.....over-grown with goose grass, thistles, hops and stinging nettles.
I managed half before I needed a change of job. 
In the polytunnel growth is phenomenal.
Here are the morning glories touching the ceiling. Hope there will be more flowers soon.
I think the melons grew overnight. They are now supported by recycled fruit bags.
Here is our new sitting area backed by the new fencing.
I have a few more ideas to jolly up this space.
The annual larkspur brightens our teabreaks.
We are very proud of our onion crop this year. 
Having allowed more light into the orchard by cutting the hedge, the fruit will ripen more quickly.
















Sunflowers, gladioli and helichrysum.
The sweetcorn bordered by gladioli.
The pumpkins are going mad especially after I cut back the feverfew and they had more room to spread out.
And the fairy garden is being swamped by lobelia. 
 Even tiny gardens need tidying up.
At home I realised, as I disbudded dahlias in the late afternoon, that I have not had a late evening walk up the garden path this year.
 It`s always a great time to take photos.
Here is a small collection. 








By the way, it took me ages to remove all the sticky goosegrass seeds stuck in my clothing.
Clever dispersal technique.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That is such a beautiful, colourful post! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. Getting ready for the flower show now. 24 entries....am I mad?

      Delete
    2. Thank you Belinda. Getting ready for the flower show now. 24 entries....am I mad?

      Delete