Blog Archive

Monday 17 January 2022

Scarecrow Hospital

The polytunnel has been turned into a scarecrow hospital, with body parts scattered left, right and centre.

Today I felt that I was doing open-heart surgery when I decided that Mabel`s clothes were too tatty to warrant the new head I was giving her. As I cut into the wasted layers it was clear that she hadn`t had a complete make-over for a good few years.

 

Now I am searching for new "old" clothes. I have nearly run out of my own things from the loft and have since raided Steve`s side of the wardrobe for the pirate.

I worked on him whilst Steve screwed on Mabel`s new head. I found a very nice M and S shirt for £1.75 in a charity shop in Rye. And then I added ruffles.

When I am choosing fabrics for scarecrows I tend to go for synthetic materials as they last longer outdoors.

Our scarecrows can last quite a while if they are brought in for the winter. Most will manage two seasons with nothing needing doing. If they last three that is a bonus.

After that they will need new heads or hands or clothes as they fade quickly in sunlight. This year has been heavy on renovations. But it is a great excuse to stay in the warm polytunnel.

The hardest job was threading a thick wire round the brim of the witch`s hat so that it stays out. She looks a bit stiff and stern.

Tonight I am replacing the fairy`s head. I never liked it, especially when my brother said it looked like a potato. I am going for a more refined look and perhaps a bit of extra glitter in her clothing. And that is only after I have pinned the latest silk bunting to its tape .... all 70 flags!!!

Here are all the scarecrows enjoying the glorious sunshine. 

 

Still some work to go, only held up by lack of clothing.


2 comments:

  1. The witch’s face is very witchy! And I’m sure the pirate will be popular with your visitors

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a lot of giggles making them. Yes they are very popular.

    ReplyDelete