Blog Archive

Friday 26 July 2024

Heavenly High Scent

The garden is looking very beautiful at the moment. We have had a lot of compliments which is very rewarding.

We are just into the school holidays so there are lots more visitors around.

The weather has been mixed but this has proved beneficial for the garden itself. For instance my sweetpea rows continue to thrive and produce long-stemmed flowers. I have been feeding them with a mixture of comfrey and seaweed twice a week. I now have to stand on a box to pick the flowers. The house is full of them. I highly recommend the variety High Scent. Its perfume is heavenly. It will be one of my entries for the village flower show tomorrow.

The harvesting is going well. Steve has been making tomato sauce and I have been making raspberry jam.


The cucumbers are having a bit of a blip. Consequently we won`t have a pair for the show. Lots more to come but none ready, unless there is miraculous growth overnight.

Recently we did a charity donation run and a tip run combined. It was very satisfying to get rid of it all. From there we went on to visit a nursery near Windmill Hill called Flower Green Nursery. It was our first time. My niece Hazel told me about it. I loved the place and will be going back often. So instead of junk, we came home with a boot full of plants all very reasonably priced.


Begonias, geraniums, salvias, sedums, lotus flowers. I managed to find homes for some of them but others are still waiting. We have had a busy few days.

We are preparing the garden for the Fairy and Dinosaur day on Sunday. There are 130 wands, dinosaur eggs made and the trail checked. The garden has been checked over and plenty of deadheading going on. And the weather is going to be good.











 

2 comments:

  1. Those sweetpeas look amazing! I’m considering growing some next year so will make a note of that variety.
    The garden is looking beautiful, ours is having a very bad year but I’m trying to be more positive although we’re yet to harvest our first courgette!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well interestingly the germination of High Scent sweetpeas was quite poor, but the ones that did survive have been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete