Blog Archive

Monday 26 November 2012

Christmas Card Baskets

We visited the garden in beautiful sunshine last week. It was warm and quiet. There were Bellis daisies flowering away...a bright spot amongst all the green. Good to see.

 There were also helichrysum still flowering. I have been using the dried flowers to make mini-wreaths.
(Pictures next time)

Today I found all the netting blown off the greens. We need to keep it covered due to the activities of the pigeons. The door of the cob shed had blown open and bent the hinges on the round door. Anne has propped it closed with heavy planks of wood.

Beautiful blue skies.

I`ve been tidying the greenhouse and purchased 2 huge bins to store all the fleece and netting.
It looks a bit neater. I`d like to use pea gravel for the rest of the floor.

At home I have been recycling last year`s Christmas cards to make bowls. They can be used for gifts, sweets or fruit over the Christmas holidays.

These are the parts before assembly. I crotchet round the edges with fluffy wool then oversew the pieces with a darning needle. I usually try to keep to a colour or theme, such as silver glitter, red robins, nativity, snowmen etc.

Here it is when its finished.
 
Different colours.

Even more fingerless gloves. They knit up very quickly as I am having a teabreak.
 
Because of the wet afternoon, I settled down by the fire to make my candles. Its the best place to be, as the wax gets soft in the heat and can be moulded more easily. It is very satisfying to do. This year I have made red and natural coloured ones.









3 comments:

  1. The baskets and gloves are so good - you are so industrious!
    Your leeks look very tall and strong - ours are rather weak in comparison. Hopefully they'll be good enough for my plan of chestnut and leek filo parcels for Christmas lunch though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda. Your Christmas lunch sounds very nice. Our Christmas puds are steaming this very moment. Processed one of the huge pumpkins this weekend. Some went to Paula`s boys, soup today and the rest frozen. Don`t know how Steve found room in the freezers as they are already full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to keep eating home grown for so long! Excellent

    ReplyDelete