Blog Archive

Monday 12 November 2012

Fingerless Gloves and Wreaths

Recently we trimmed a willow structure in my sister`s nursery garden. We saved all the pruned whips with the idea of making some garden structures for climbers (not started yet.) I have used the thinner pieces to weave wreaths for Christmas. I was quite pleased when I didn`t need to use any wire to hold it together. I started to get the idea of working with the strengths and weaknesses of the different thicknesses of whips. 

In the nearby woods some of the darker paths have been cut into "rides," not that they are used for riding.
Honeysuckle and silver birch have been coppiced.  After a foraging walk yesterday, I used honeysuckle for the rings and then pushed the birch in and wound it round and round. Again there was no need for wire.

On a visit to Hobbycraft during the week, I found some lovely wool. 
I have to be careful in that shop! It is not cheap and I have sooooo many crafting materials already.
But, I could not resist this wool. It was very exciting to knit up as the colour changes every few lines.
I made these fingerless gloves for myself. I weighed a finished glove and found I had enough wool for another pair and possibly part of a third. Maybe I will use a contrast colour for the cuff.


Today I have made my mincemeat. It is soaking in Metaxa brandy. I will give it a good stir before bedtime and put it into jars tomorrow.  I had to use bought eating apples as 
we had such a poor crop of cooking apples....none left. 
Bring on the mince pies!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment