Blog Archive

Monday 7 January 2013

January Sales and My Grandad

Today we went to our local Wyevales Garden Centre and found seeds and shrubs at half price. Luckily I had my list of wants and managed to cross quite a few off.

Steve got several varieties of onions..
Stuttgarter Giant
Sturon
Shallot Red Sun
And two lots of seed potatoes
Sharpes Express First Early
Organic Sarpo Mira Maincrop
They were not in the sale.


Outside I found the roses were also half-price so I bought 4  for the garden. I`m not sure where they are going yet but I can`t wait for roses to be growing at Freshwinds.
The names are...
Sweet Haze
Charming Cover
Soft Cover
Flirt

 I have been thinking about my Grandad Magan since mentioning how he grew his runner beans. He was a keen gardener, growing tomatoes in his greenhouse, brassicas, runner beans (as mentioned)
and there were always pots of geraniums around.
Here is a picture of me at the age of two with my Grandad in the garden. Note that he is wearing a tie and looks very smart. He was a sergeant major in 8th. Royal Irish Hussars.

I couldn`t help but have gardening in my blood seeing as my Dad, Jim, was also a keen gardener. 
 



2 comments: