Blog Archive

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Scarecrows

Many years ago, my sister Lee gave me some dried grass decorations. She thought I would "do" something with them. Well it has taken me quite a while to actually do it but in my quest to use resources that have been around too long (or throw them out,) I`ve created some tiny scarecrows.
My usual scarecrows are full-sized. Those of you who have camped at Freshwinds will have seen them as you walk through the garden, Bruce, Mabel, Hollie and Tom. (There may be a new one this year.)

 Here is Mabel, living in the Wool barn at the moment.

This is just one of the grasses. Its been hanging around in my natural resources for ages.
I began by trimming the top off to even it out.

Next I cut off the wire stem and divided the grass for limbs.

Next I added a slightly larger head using a stretchy fabric.

Then I dressed them with scraps of patchwork fabric.
Here are the ladies.

And here are the gents. Wonder if they need trousers now!!

 Back in the summer, I made a special scarecrow for my cousin Joanne who celebrated a special birthday last year. The scarecrow was dressed as a Morris dancer. In September we went to a big family party at Garston where Joanne`s Morris dancing "side" entertained us.

Here is Joanne at the party.

Here is the scarecrow.

There was a little artistic license.

The party was fantastic and we all had a great time.





















3 comments:

  1. I love your sacrecrows. You should do a little tutorial of how to make them. I'm hoping to make one this year for my garden at home. We live next to a farmers field so I'm sure he would apprecite the extra help to protect his crops :) x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also like my middle-sized scarecrows....they are about
    50 cm high and usually just made of re-cycled bits and pieces. Will put a photo of one on the next blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found it hard to see the difference between the scarecrow and Joanne!

    ReplyDelete