Blog Archive

Friday 13 September 2013

Apple Harvest and Michaelmus Daisies

I am getting a bit behind with the news and photos I want to post so there will be two today.
A couple of days ago we found the Fiesta apples were being attacked by birds and wasps so we picked them all. They really needed longer on the trees.


I am astonished and very pleased to be picking these long sweetpeas at this time of the year.
The main row has been dismantled and my row at home but these came from a tripod that was planted quite late in the season. It is a joy to have sweetpeas by our bedside.
Funny to think that I am now choosing the seeds I want for next year as well as saving some of our own.



I am very happy with the health of the pond. The large spread of blanket weed has been significently reduced by the introduction of barley straw in an old pair of tights submerged beneath the surface. As you can see quite a bit of the surface is now covered and the Marsh frogs are very happy here, still calling with the most incredible sound. One of these days I will get it on film.
I have spotted newts, great diving beetles, pond skaters, dragonflies, damselflies, several different kinds of water snails, whirlygig beetles, Marsh frogs and even a grass snake.


The marsh marigold I transferred from our own pond has put on new growth and the two water lilies from Anne`s dad`s pond have established well.


I have stripped the tomatoes back to the bare essentials but I`m still feeding them. The crop has been incredible. I`ve frozen pounds and Steve has made a lot of tomato sauce.....possibly enough for gifts this year.


Despite a bad start these French beans are really producing.....lots frozen and lots in our meals.


A small row but runner beans are doing well.


I have bunches and bunches of statice drying in our garden room. It will brighten up dull winter days.


The Michaelmus daisies are just opening. They will attract many insects.


Think Hollie will need some new clothes in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment