Blog Archive

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Pears and Insect Hotel

My 3 year old great-nephew Aiden has enjoyed visiting the plot with his granny. He has fed the pigs, enjoyed the guinea pigs and chickens and watched the frogs in the pond.


On Monday it rained on us but we didn`t mind.
There was lots to harvest including French beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots.
We decided to pick the last lot of fruit from our small orchard. There were 4 pounds of small, hard pears.


The lovely basket was found at the latest boot fair. It was £3.
(More about boot fairs in my next post)
Today I have bottled the pears and we have nearly passed out with the fumes..





I split the mass of yellow flag iris and will pot it into water baskets next time.
I clipped round the pond and cleared an area for the new insect hotel.
It is made of old halved pallets. (What would we do without pallets)
It needs screwing together and will perhaps be a bit taller.
Steve was busy working on the roofing for the cob shed.




I cleared and tidied the two beds in front of the greenhouse. It is over-flowing with matted white daisies and  was in need of thinning. The soil turned over very well.




The skies were fantastic and we got some low photos to try and capture their dramatic look.


I have been looking back through my photos of the garden for the whole year. Some of the comparisons are making interesting viewing. I will choose some examples to post for next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment