Blog Archive

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Helichrysum: Growing, Drying, Using

A fellow blogger was interested in growing helichrysum and I thought a blog entry about it, 
would be useful.
I grow my plants from seed every year in compartmented seed trays.
When I put the plants in at the garden, I have to protect them from rabbits.

 Here are several trays of annuals ready to go in.

 








At the top left of this picture, 
you can see the plants in a row
covered in fleece.





As the plants continue to grow through the summer and well into the autumn, I pick them regularly and dry them in the summer house at home.
I usually pick before they are fully opened.


My friend gave me this covered basket for a present and it is ideal.


Statice, another flower I grow for drying, is hung in bunches.




This year I have made them up into smaller posies, held together with circles of tulle. 
These circles are often used for wedding favours.



 In the summer I used many of the flowers for decoration on our 40th wedding anniversary.
real flower headbands









 buttonholes

















threaded on ribbons











At a wedding in May, using petals for confetti....you can see how light it was and drifted beautifully




They look lovely threaded on organza ribbons.


When completely dry, I store them in net bags in the summer house.



It is quite delightful to have these summer colours around well into the winter.
I call them my bags of sunshine.











1 comment:

  1. I remember going to auntie Sheila's house and seeing the flower heads laid out on two trays in her kitchen! I also grow them every year, but they went out too late this year and it was a total FAIL!!

    ReplyDelete