Blog Archive

Tuesday 20 January 2015

Stash Busting and More

Because I am a crafter, I use all kinds of fabric and all kinds of fabric seems to come my way. Last year I was very lucky to receive a lot of unwanted fabrics. I have never said no!! Up til now I have viewed with envy those Pinterest boards that show shelf upon shelf of organised fabric, in neat serried ranks and scorned those who wonder who it is that has time to do this. 
Well It`s ME folks. I have got the time and I have thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Here are the advantages.....
1. You know what you`ve got
2. You know what you`re short of
3. You can pick out what you need without having to go through every box.
4. The same type of fabrics are all in the same place
5. You can sit right in front of the fire to sort it out
6. You get lots of crafty ideas
7. It takes up less room

It did involve quite a lot of ironing and I did burn a hole through two layers of my ironing board. However this did give me the opportunity to make my own ironing board cover from old curtains. It also involved many trips into the loft.

I started with my small pieces of cotton. They are folded into 
7 x 7 cm bundles.
The boxes were £1 each in Poundland. They have lids.
 
Next I sorted the bigger bundles which are in 14 x 14 cm folds. These bigger storage boxes came from Tesco and were £11 for 3.
 




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
After going through my scraps, I was inspired to make a few things.....lavender bags, tiny lavender pillows and tiny patchwork bags.




I also made bunting from my sisters` pyjamas and an old outdoor tablecloth.



I moved on to the loft, where I store much more.
Velvets, curtaining, silk, brocades, larger pieces of cotton, denim, glittery, plaids etc etc etc.





















This quilt is for a Moses basket.....some very small scraps used here.


I treated myself to these roses....reduced in Tesco to under £5....beautiful.


And here is today`s fire....our new woodburner helping to clear all Steve`s unwanted wood and keeping us toasty into the bargain. With snow outside it was lit quite early.

Now all I have to do is keep my fabric in its present state.

2 comments:

  1. What a job well done! I am currently in the process of clearing two rooms which are full of the kids junk, of to charity shop and tip later this week and it feels good,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a lot of work. Well done.....I should do the same.......

    ReplyDelete