Blog Archive

Sunday 1 February 2015

Sea Glass Sunday

It was a cold day, but we were determined to go for a walk at Pett Level after being in all day yesterday.
The sun was shining and it was glorious.

I didn`t want to collect shells today but there are still 
100 shells every few steps.


I decided to collect sea glass. Sea glass has been in the sea for some time and it`s sharp edges have been worn down by wave action.
When I was about 2 years old my Aunty Doreen took me for walks on the beach at Hastings and she told me that if I looked carefully, I would find treasure on the seashore. I always considered the sea glass to be that treasure. We collected it as children, but don`t remember doing anything specific with it.
But all that is going to change.

On our walk we met up with Robin who takes our exercise class in Pett Village. She told me that when her children were small they collected the sea glass and put it in glass vases.
That`s what I am going to do.
I really needed my glasses on, but here is what we picked up today.


It sparkles in the sunshine, just like jewels.


It does look lovely in a vase.
I will be collecting a lot more.

















Amongst our multi-coloured pebbles, it is often quite difficult to see these birds. They love to be on the shore line.


They are called Turnstones.

Further along the shore, we came across this.....




I`m not sure if it`s a barrel or compass jellyfish, or perhaps neither.
We didn`t touch it anyway.



3 comments:

  1. Amazing photographs Jen some of the best I've seen of pett level beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely post! I have sea-glass amongst my marbles. It's always a bonus to find some blue bits and even a bit of red! Beautiful pics

    ReplyDelete