Blog Archive

Saturday 24 October 2015

Autumn Colour Fest

Yesterday my sister and I went to the
East Sussex Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers celebration in
our county town of Lewes.
Lewes is famous for its bonfire nights.

We eventually found a car parking space after driving right round the town.
We walked over the River Ouse and up the High Street to the town hall, 
past many eclectic little shops.
The town was buzzing.

Inside the town hall a barrage of colour hit our eyes as we wandered past the many enticing stands.
Here are a few of my pictures.











































 The first lady I talked to was a weaver who dyed and spun her own wool and then wove it. She demonstrated her large looms with the heddles.
Her stand was lined with her own work.
I bought a huge bag of naturally dyed wool, using plants from her own garden.










She had brought ten bags and I was glad to have got it early on, as later on there weren`t many left.









The range of wool was totally amazing and I don`t know how I kept my hands off.





There was even a stand of fantastic ranges of buttons.




I was very pleased to meet up with Sheilagh, who gave me my spinning lesson a few weeks ago.
She was spinning flax from a distaff.
 It was Sheilagh who gave me the leaflet about this event.




There was an area for trying out different skills such as weaving and spinning with a drop spindle.
(Sorry the photo is a bit blurred)
There were demonstrations....we didn`t stop for any.
And finally there were people selling their own crafts.

We rested for a cuppa in the canteen and then made a few more purchases.




After a meal in a very busy cafe, we made our way home through lanes lined with autumn colour.


I can`t wait to start knitting and experimenting with the coloured wool.



4 comments:

  1. I was smiling as I read this! - I'm busy knitting a huge robin for mummy for Christmas and I actually dreamt about it last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful colours. As soon as I unpacked my knitting needles (in store for 20 months) I knitted a colourful baby hat and loved it. The deputy site managers wife is expecting a baby any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will send you a link to a sweet little Xmas tree hat I found on Pinterest. Don`t forget to take some pictures. I`d like to see what you`ve knitted.

    ReplyDelete