Blog Archive

Saturday 7 November 2015

Seaglass

When I was very very small, I was walking along the beach with my Aunty Doreen, and she told me that if I looked really hard I would find treasure on the edge of the sea.
And I believe this is how my love of seaglass began.
I thought I was finding treasure in the form of jewels.


As we grew older my sisters and I would collect the seaglass on the beach, not that I remember saving it or even displaying it, but we loved it all the same.
The best ones to find were blue.

There is the most extraordinary interest in seaglass on Pinterest and in fact 
I have a pinboard called Seaglass.


There are beaches in America where the pebbles are all glass....it would be my paradise to collect there but it doesn`t say much for what must have been dumped in order for that place to exist.

On our recent holiday to Cyprus we found a most stunning beach in the Sea Caves area.


It was possible to swim from this beach. I had a great time searching for seaglass here.




Even a heart shaped piece.

We loved this beach and went there nearly every day. The beach itself, was very narrow but we were able to sit on the flat rocks.

On Saturday evening, we found a brightly coloured hippie bus parked up with a mobile BBQ and later  60`s music drifting down to the beach from a live singer.
It was most enjoyable.


The local diving school also used it as a sheltered learning area.





Today I have sorted the seaglass and taken some photos.







My most unusual finds.....


......one single blue.



My collection is growing.


Here is a link to our own Bottle Alley in Hastings.

6 comments:

  1. Holiday beach looks wonderful.
    very interested in your sea glass collections and board. I think I will start collecting it myself.
    also nice to see bottle alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you remember going there? I didn`t think you had pebbles on your beach. It looked like all sand to me. I`ve seen some lovely ways to display them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember going to bottle alley. The nearest beaches to here are mainly sand but there are some pebbly bits! I'll also be looking for estuarine glass.

      Delete
    2. That sounds a bit technical but I think I know what it means.

      Delete
  3. Ooh yes! Sea glass! We must all have collections of it. If only there was more blue! But i also have found red, surely the rarest of all :-) What a lovely post and a lovely holiday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I`d love to find more blue too. Apparently yellow is very unusual.

      Delete