Blog Archive

Saturday 27 August 2016

Memory Bears and Blankets

So many babies in our family and so many opportunities to make them unique memorable items.
I should say that I am not blowing my own trumpet when I use the word "unique," it`s just that these items are truly one-offs.

When memory bears were first discussed in our family, I didn`t feel confident enough to actually make one and the purpose of this blog entry is to reassure people that it is not as hard
 as one would think.

When I saw one that had been made for my nephew Frazer, I thought, I can do that.
So here we go....

1. You will need about 4 to 5 babygros with contrasting patterns or colours.
2. Cut out all usable pieces.
3. Use iron-on vilene for each piece.....better to do this on the ironing board with the teddy pattern at hand and cut out as you go along. Remember to reverse pieces. I made that mistake once or twice.
To help myself I laid all the pieces out in a symmetrical pattern to make sure I had it right
(Here are the pieces ready to sew.)
4. I used a loose but narrower zigzag stitch on my machine.
5. Stuff the pieces....it was tempting to stuff firmly but I made the body looser to make it cuddly and kept the limbs firm as I wanted to make moveable arms and legs.
One hint for the pads at the bottom of the feet....
I tacked round the separate pieces before sewing together....this helped to hold the shape.
6. Sew pieces together. use strong thread for attaching arms and legs to body. 
7. I did use buttons for the eyes. Some people may think this is not a good idea for babies 
so take note.
8. Personalise....it could be an embroidered name or a label.


And here is Fletcher with his teddy.




And now for memory blankets.


1. Save up babygros with special memories....it might be the one they wore home from hospital or the one granny gave her new grandchild. You would need about 10 to 15.
2. Cut out all usable pieces and do not throw away anything especially labels.
(This is a pile of left-overs)
3. Piece them together with prominent patterns/pictures in the centre. For contrast I did one light horizontal strip and one dark. Try to keep the horizontal lines the same height which will make sewing a lot easier.
(at the top and bottom there is one strip of smaller pieces)
4. Sew vertical pieces on each strip then sew the strips together using a very loose zigzag stitch on your machine. 
At this point you can personalise the blanket with names....
 ......or special words.....

















......these two were actual patches but you can add smaller pictures.
Iron them onto iron-on vilene, cut out and tack on by hand before using a loose zigzag stitch round the edge.
 Use your imagination with the left-overs.
 5. Press gently
(The fabric is very soft and does not need any wadding.)
6. Pin the quilt to a fleecy blanket at every join and round the edges.
 I try to find half price baby blankets in Boots or Tescos.
7. Instead of sewing along the joins, I did a few strong stitches at each crossing point.
8. Trim the backing blanket.
9. Zigzag loosely round the edge with your machine.
10. Put bias strip round the edge....first side with machine and second side by hand, as it is much easier to ease in the fabric stretchiness that way.
 Here is Fletcher with his blanket.

My next blanket is well under way with a bear to follow and that will be for little Henry
A most rewarding project....
....and of course the babygros are particularly bright at the moment.









No comments:

Post a Comment