Blog Archive

Sunday 29 April 2018

Tortoises and Mermaids

I have been doing a rather mish mash of crafts lately...a combination of birthday gifts and fairy things.
April is a busy month for family birthdays so I have to get myself organised fairly early on.
There`s a bit of a mermaid theme going on.
I experimented with these and was pleased with the results.

 Here is the pattern I drew for the tails.
My next project is a mermaid crown, but it needs a bit of thinking through before I start. I do have some lovely shells to choose from.
These felt fairies are Waldorf style.
My friend gave me a fairy t.shirt.
I turned it into a cushion cover and added some home-made tassels.
More sock horses.
Pompom tassel keyrings or bag decorations.

Crochet octopi.

Bean bags filled with dried peas.
 
Last year, for my great nephew, I filled a leg of some old tights with grass seeded soil and turned it into a caterpillar.
This year I asked if he wanted another one and he said could he please have a tortoise/turtle.
I had a go.
This is how I did it.
One up-turned hyacinth bowl in a round plant tray.
Covered with a layer of upside-down turf,
sprinkled with grass seed.
From old tights I made a head, legs and a tail which I sewed to a thick fabric base.
The bowl was placed on top.
And eyes glued on.
Then I covered it with a fruit net bag.
Here is Aiden with his tortoise.
He is 8 years old today.
I will try to add pictures of the tortoise when the grass starts to grow.
And here is the birthday cake his mum made for him.
Yes he loves tortoises.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You've been busy! Love the mermaids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now a friend of Jamie.s has brought me 3 boxes of sewing sundries that used to be her mothers. It is a treasure trove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on FB - what a fun selection to go through!

      Delete