Blog Archive

Wednesday 25 April 2018

Queen Wasps and Broad-bodied Chasers

The usual type of weather for April has returned, so its back to the layered look!!
Plenty to keep us warm.
I at last, got started on the flowerbed that has been to wet too begin.
I ended up slicing weeds off, but it was great to have some good soil to go on top. Some couch grass in here so it may need a really good going over soon.
 I scattered all the rest of my home-saved love in a mist seeds which should provide a spectacle later in the year.
I managed to get another 8 dahlias in ..... only 27 still to go!!
The blossom was beautiful, mostly pear.



 The cobshed roof is colouring up.
What an array of colours.
The ones used at the edge, only recently added, 
seem to have rooted well.
The chickens were pecking around.
The herb garden sign is back outside.

I spotted a broad bodied chaser near the pond.


It is certainly a spectacular sight.
I also noticed a huge wasp on the spurge.
It might be a queen but I`m not sure.


It must be a good nectar plant.

 
 









 Some of the spurge flowers(?) are stunning.

The asparagus tips must have grown inches overnight.
We`ve had a few .... on their own and in a vegetable flan. Yummy.
The rhubarb has produced a lot of flowers which I`ve been snapping off. Rhubarb that is allowed to flower will not produce such a good harvest.
 
At home I`ve covered my stone toadstool with an up-turned turf and chicken wire. It took me ages to plant these sedum cuttings by slotting them in with a dibber.
I will blog a picture when the sedum thickens up.
I have also planted my first row of sweetpeas, well protected.
A new door for the fairy garden.
These little gnomes came from The Works. They were £2 each.
This week Anne and I will be hunting for the components of a new fairy palace.
Changes afoot.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment