Blog Archive

Tuesday 5 September 2023

Granny Squares and Beach Pears

Oh its hot. And how we love it.

September swims in the sea. Pear harvests. Dahlia bouquets.

There is nothing quite so poignant as the hot September days when you need to absorb the heat and the loveliness to sustain you through those winter days. I do not dislike winter. It has its own charms but there is something sad about the sun going down and creeping more quickly across the grass every evening.

This evening we sat outside to eat our dinner and were there until 7.15. Delightful. No wind and a tiny wren singing its chipping little song from the fence.

Here are the fairies I made for my great-niece, Aspen. She is 3 today.





I made them a little "home." She received them on Saturday.
 

I have been learning how to make African Granny Flower Squares from a youtube video which I found on Pinterest. Unfortunately I don`t seem to be able to include the link. 
My first attempts were a bit skew-whiff ....
 



 
 
....but after several tries I got the hang of it.
 

Today we picked the pears. The little tree has cropped well.
 
 
The colour is amazing. I have stored a few but it won`t be for long. I have researched pear jam but I can`t say I am keen.
I think the heavier crop is due to the fact that we removed the over-shadowing damson tree. We will miss the damsons however.
 
I bunched up these colourful dahlias to sell at the monthly coffee morning.


I took down the dying sweetpea row which has been mediocre and picked helichrysum and statice.
 
 
Anne was mowing the lawns and not long after that it was really too hot to do much at all. 
At the end of the afternoon we had a welcome swim at Pett Level which was very refreshing. And such a treat in September.
 With a cuppa and pears to follow.
 

 


 

 

1 comment:

  1. It is a vovely colourful time of year and so enhanced by warm/hot sunshine

    ReplyDelete