Blog Archive

Friday 6 July 2012

Ferns and forgetmenots

We had a lovely visit to the garden today. It is looking very pretty especially our wild flower areas. We`ve seen a couple of butterflies. I think they are a bit late this year. The strawberries are nearly finished and all in all have been a disappointment. I am wondering how to protect them next year. I think the proximity of the barn is a problem.
I planted 2 rows of rescued forgetmenots which seeded themselves in our strawberry patch at home ( yes we have another garden) I also put in another tray of wallflowers to beef up for spring.
My niece Hazel, gave us 2 huge ferns and we planted them near the pond.
And of course I picked the sweetpeas.

Six months ago this was just a hole in the ground. Today it was covered in whirlygig beetles. As you can see the water level is down quite a bit despite the rain.


This is our largest wild flower area. It is right at the entrance to the garden.


Calendula edging the sunflower bed.


Last year we lost the peas. This year they have had 4 protections to get this far. I planted them in compartment trays keeping them in our own greenhouse where they had to be protected from mice. I then planted them under a tunnel of chicken wire (to keep rabbits off) Next  they had hazel pea sticks to climb up and to protect them from pigeons. Lastly I put slug pellets down (friendly ones of course)
With all that work we will hopefully get a good crop. They will be worth it.

Here is a view of our garden looking east. The huge raised bed is on the right with the herb garden in the foreground. Halfway down is the strawberry patch and you can see how close the barn is.
Next weekend is the annual barn dance at the farm. The proceeds go to Farm Africa.
Photos to follow I hope.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment