Blog Archive

Tuesday 5 November 2013

Digging in the Dark

An afternoon that started in sunshine and ended in the dark with a pink sky behind.
After a showery morning, during which I was in school teaching Christmas songs, the afternoon was fine enough to go to the garden.
I had three jobs in mind.....
  • to weed the last dahlia bed and to cover it with carpet
  • to pull up the last of the sweetcorn
  • to dig over the bean bed
When weeding, I am always on the lookout for nettles, docks, buttercups and burdock as they are pretty pernicious. They do not go on the compost!!
I had to cut the carpet to fit over the bed and held it down with bricks.
The sweetcorn was jolly hard work. They were deeply rooted in the raised bed. I got most out but had to ask Steve to do the last three.
By then my sister Paula had walked to see us with lovely cream cakes so we had a welcome break.
She picked the last of the helichrysum. I pulled up some statice.
I have also taken terracotta flowerpots to the garden for the insect hotel.
Finally as it was getting dark, and the sky turned pink, I dug about half of the bean bed. 
It was turning over really well.



Here is the insect hotel with a few materials.


This is the first layer done.

 Hollow sticks in bundles inside carpet tubes and logs sawn to size.


Straw inside tubes. I tried to protect it more with plastic but it was hard to slide it in.

The next layer will be flowerpots filled with hay or straw.

I covered the top with carpet for some winter protection and found our first guest had arrived!!!
Hope it`s friendly.


We are still pulling large carrots. This one weighed 13 ounces.


My latest toy. This is the first time I have followed a longer crochet pattern. 
I usually make it up as I go along.
I found this on Pinterest. He`s a giraffe and what`s more, it`s a free pattern.







No comments:

Post a Comment