Blog Archive

Thursday 29 December 2016

Patchwork from Stash

Well here we are in between Christmas Day and the New Year. An odd kind of time.
Hope everyone had a good Christmas.
Unfortunately 20 out of 26 of our family were sick over the Christmas period and are only just recovering. Luckily most of us were able to enjoy some or all of Christmas Day.

I needed a quiet easy occupation as I did not feel too energatic.
I hit upon the idea of stash-busting.
My two scrap fabric boxes have been getting a little full.























So what to do and what to make .....that was the question.

First, the patches.
I folded a post-it note in half and used it as a pattern.
It turned out to be a good size.






I went through both boxes using the smallest pieces I could until I had piles of patches.
I then sorted them into rough colour matches..

Next I pinned them together.


 



















After sewing and pressing, I cut the strips right down the middle and sewed together again with opposite ends therefore placing different patterns side by side.

 Each patch is about 2 centimetres square.

To start the ball rolling I made lavender hearts....a bit long-winded....and I wasn`t too happy with the final product.




Next I tried lavender cushions also long-winded due to having to sew the bias strip partly by hand.
They are OKish.


The two huge pieces may become dolls` blankets.
























The only trouble is that the two boxes of scrap fabric don`t look that much different.
I feel a bit of bunting making coming on.
Any other ideas gratefully received.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your idea of a quiet easy occupation is significantly different to mine!
    I'm seeing oven/pot holders n my mind's eye

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this thing about using all my scraps at this time of the year. Its the only time I would do it really.

    ReplyDelete