Blog Archive

Friday 24 March 2017

Creating Who.

This scarecrow has not been created completely from scratch.
Previously it was Tom, a nice link really.
So ..... I began with the frame already made, with its articulated arms, making the dressing so much easier. I have waited a long time to get this one started so it was good to get going.

On a wet, miserable, cold day, I made a complete and utter mess in the kitchen....I usually make them outdoors. And it didn`t take as long as expected.
A couple of days ago I made the head.
I used two layers of a jersey fabric, one thick and one of pink t.shirt fabric.
I formed the nose by putting extra stuffing and gathering round it.
The mouth is just a semicircle of chain stitch....very simple.
The head is fastened to the stake by lashing.
I reckoned that an extra bar across the waist area would make things a lot easier so after Steve screwed that on for me, I stuffed some leggings with straw and was able to use the same bar to hold them in place. In the past the whole body slips down after a while and had a dropsy kind of look.
When the leggings were on, the trousers came next.
Held on with safety pins.
In the past I have stuffed the trousers but this has a more realistic look.
Next I stuffed plastic carrier bags with straw and put them inside a t.shirt with long sleeves.
I used duck tape to hold them in place. I stuffed the arms with loose straw.
And I used bathroom buffer mitts for hands....reused. They are made of nylon and don`t rot. After lashing I stapled them as well. (They often slide off when the string loosens.)
I got some fantastic golfing shoes at the jumble sale (50p) and I wondered how I would keep them on so Steve created these "feet" with notches in two places.
I pushed these up into the leggings and lashed them with garden string.
The shoes fit snugly on the "feet" thanks to Steve`s precise measurements.
Next the polo necked sweater went on and the brown mac which came from M and S years ago.
The scarf, knitted by Paula, completed the outfit and in my opinion was the best part.
He had to wait til the next day for the wig.
I couldn`t resist trying it on.
I sewed it on. And finally the hat.
Now he`s just about ready to live in Freshwinds Garden.

 



8 comments:

  1. Voila! Dr Who! What a great addition to the garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you were scintillatingly excited about who it was going to be!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf would have given it away or maybe you in the wig :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He went to the garden today. Bit of a contortionist in the back of the car.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Steve is going to build a tardis tools he'd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that`s an idea but I have too many other woodworking jobs for him to do next.

      Delete