Blog Archive

Saturday 18 March 2017

Turfing News

On Friday the new turf arrived.
We got to the garden about 10 and Anne had been busy laying turf in front of the stable.
We set to and began on the entrance area.
There was a biting wind coming across the field.



The closest we will get to instant gardening.
Anne had ordered a bit more so we were able to do the two strips down the middle of the garden.
We decided that the rabbits were getting the better of us here.
It`s a shame because the wild flowers that grew there in the first years were lovely.
Other patchy areas in the orchard were covered.
 


In the afternoon, Anne and I had a check through the dahlia tubers. Though some had been chewed and bits had rotted, on the whole we still have a great hoard.

 














By then it was freezing, so we packed up about 4.
 
The first visitors arrived at the little house.
I`m sure they were cosy with the wood-burning stove.
 
Today we have been to the church jumble sale at the village hall.
I am pleased to say that we found all the clothes for our very specific new scarecrow.
(more news later)
Behind the first counter was the lovely Mary W, a keen follower of this blog. She helped us choose coats, jackets and jumpers.
At home after sorting through all the purchases, I began the head of the scarecrow.
He is a well-known character.
Watch this space.


 
 

4 comments:

  1. Dum dum duurrrrm... what a tease :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha Belinda. You must have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What hard work laying all that turf. I'm just digging up turf to make new beds!
    I might know who the scarecrow is.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I gave some clues earlier. We were very tired at the end of that day and I came down with a cold the next day. Hope you are putting more photos on your blog. I`d love to see how your garden is developing.

      Delete