Blog Archive

Thursday 6 April 2017

Milkmaids and Hazel Poles

The weather has been fantastic. Lucky all the yurters who chose to come this week. As I garden in a t.shirt and canvas pumps instead of wellies, I have to pinch myself to remind myself that it is the beginning of April.
I have at last completed the renewing of the chipped bark round the final tree in the orchard. Interestingly, under the carpet circle I found a stash of plum stones. Now I wonder what creature that was, perhaps storing food for winter.
Alongside me, the chickens are getting used to their new home. Anne told me today that she had to show them how to get in and out. I think that is quite funny.
The pond still needs some work but I will need waders to do it.
You need to sit quietly and watch carefully to see the myriad pondlife, but it is there.
These pale mauve milkmaids have found their way to the pond edges.
Was it seed? How did it get there?
I am thrilled as I love them so much.
We cut hazel poles to length ready for the bean row and in preparation for a new home-made fence.
 There were lots of happy visitors around.
Kathryn arrived to give therapy sessions to some 
lucky people.
She said she was literally skipping through the woods today, in sheer delight at the profusion of spring flowers there....anemones, like a sea of snow, bluebells with their distinctive heady perfume, pale yellow primroses and shy little violets.
Well worth a walk or two if you are staying.
Just look at these asparagus spears, piercing the bare earth....thanks to my weeding.
We tried our first ones last night. Yummy.
It`s hard to see them when they are just peeping through so I was stepping very gingerly.
 Steve planted our garlic....grown in pots for a while.
He said the roots were so matted he couldn`t thin them out, so they were planted en masse.
The onions are well away but oh my goodness the weed seedlings coming through!!!
On the way home we collected more of the wonderful manure in bags. There`s plenty of it and every spadeful has about 30 worms in it....brandlings too. What better to go on the garden, especially dahlias.
The unusually inquisitive sheep came to investigate.
In the field across the road, a mother with triplets,
eyeing us warily.
The snowy blackthorn in full blossom, promising a good sloe harvest.

A lovely day..... and I heard on the news it will continue.

At the last count my seed trays amounted to 56 trays so very much still in control.



2 comments:

  1. Aah, it's so lovely sitting in sunshine, reading your lovely post! I really need to get out there too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lovely weather continues here. Borrowing some waders tomorrow so that should be interesting.

      Delete