Blog Archive

Tuesday 30 January 2018

Broken Fences and New Tracks

Oh it was a lovely day. 
I hesitate to call it the first day of spring .... you never know what`s coming next.
But when these beauties greet me in my own garden, 
I can`t help it.

 














After walking to and from the mobile library in glorious sunshine, we decided it was a day for the garden.
We loaded up the car with our old bedroom carpet which we had conveniently rolled up into useful lengths.
Later I was able to use it to cover ground that I`d weeded.
But we started off with moving the gooseberry bushes.
I was glad to be able to do the light digging, as I had twisted my knee last week, when I fell out of the apple tree at home....I`d climbed up to prune it. 
All of my weeding was done bending over however.
Now the  tortoise run can be enlarged.
Anne`s efforts with the rabbit tunnel have now been turfed with rough grass. They are going to love it.
 The new track through the barn is looking good, but I might start to feel a bit embarassed by the nettles that grow alongside in spring.
New ideas brewing here I think. 
One job that will need thinking about soon is our pallet fence at the entrance to the garden. It fell over in the gales 
and now needs an over-haul. 
Another area for a re-think, is our compost area.
After discussion, we decided to have a large dumping area as well as four heaps, using pallets, so we are actively looking for them.
Anne found us one straight away.
The pink pussy willow is in flower .... so delicate.
The pond is full and needs a trim here and there.


The brave rhubarb showing its red knubs.










Acid-yellow
spurge and daffodil buds.

 
 
 
 
 

 



And some shy violets.










I am well aware of the repetitious nature of this type of blog, but it is important to remind ourselves about the great joy we find in seeing those things for the first time each year.
If ever I don`t see the joy in them, it would probably be time for me to shed this mortal coil.
 When I got home I planted six pots of garlic.
But the sun disappeared for a while,+ so it was back to loft clearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment