Blog Archive

Monday 8 April 2019

Julia`s Jeans

My sister-in-law, Julia, gives me her unwanted jeans and I have often used them for small scarecrow outfits.
But the storage box was getting quite full, so I decided to make a quilt .... rather different than my usual ones. 

I began by doing some pinterest research and found a few ideas to try out. 
 Next I began cutting out the rectangles.
I decided to stick with striped fabric as a contrast.
It was mainly ticking.

 











Each denim rectangle was flanked by two striped pieces to make up to a square.
There were lots of odd pieces so I cut them up for the nursery children for collage.
All the squares were then pressed open and then pieced together like this.
It almost looks like they have been interwoven.
 
Next, I sewed them together, and did some decorative stitching 
in thick white crochet cotton.
After that the wadding and calico were pinned together.
The whole quilt was very thick so I thought sewing through the layers might be quite hard.
After consulting my cousin Joanne, a quilting expert, I decided to knot it, again using the white cotton. 
Each knot was cut to a regular size.
Finally I gave it a wide denim border.
 
The most satisfying thing about this quilt is that every part is recycled.
Now I just need to decide who to give it to!!
 
 

 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I must admit I didn't like the sound of a 'denim quilt' but the result is really lovely! (Also, I like your background photo at the mo)

    ReplyDelete