Blog Archive

Thursday 20 June 2013

Flag Iris, Flaming Bugs and Frogs

Our visit to the garden was supposed to be short but we were there for over two hours.
My brother James, came for a short visit and spotted this....


We think it is a Cardinal beetle.
 
Tim and William walked through and we got talking about frogs and ponds. Then Rock came through. He is working on some more decking. Finally Anne came through and there`s always loads to talk about with her.
I was just there to water tomatoes, cucumbers and aubergines. Steve planted sprouts. We ended up putting the flag iris in the pond. We have confined the roots to an old tin bath.


No sooner had we placed it in the water than a frog was exploring.
I have to apologise for the number of frog photos but I cannot resist.


The first corn cockles were flowering. What a beautiful flower this is up close.
It is in our wild area and they have seeded themselves from last year.



The elderflowers are very pretty. Perhaps we should make some elderflower wine or cordial.



The problems with the strawberries have started already. In the top picture they have been bitten off at the main stem. In the second picture there is slug damage (I think)
I have scattered cayenne pepper around the plants to put the mice off.


 The calabrese is just coming.


Back at home the roses have only just begun to flower. This is Superstar.

 

My palest delphinium is very special.

We open our garden for friends and family this Sunday. 
Some photos coming in my next post ....if it doesn`t rain.




2 comments:

  1. I love your frog photos! And that one is great with his reflection!
    Best of luck with your open garden, I'm sure it will be a success even if the weather doesn't play ball

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supposed to clear up by the afternoon so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete