Blog Archive

Friday 14 June 2013

Pink Snow and Gigantic Greenflies

I managed to plant out 17 trays of bedding today. The soil was damp and perfect for planting.
The weeds are doing well!!!
Round at the stables Chris, the vet had come to see to the horse`s teeth. 
He was grinding them down....not a pleasant sound. This happens every 6 months.

Here is Holly with Mabel and Chris.


Holly`s Buff Orpington has had two chicks. The mother, Beryl, was very protective and didn`t like us near.

 In the garden I planted more flowers into one of the beds. I had to recover it after watering.
In this bed are calendula, gladiolis, French marigolds and sunflowers.




I cut some lupins to take home and noticed a sticky residue under the vase. On closer examination of the plant, I was horrified to find these gigantic greenfly all over the lovely flowers shown in an earlier post.
I can`t imagine why they have been so heavily contaminated. I may spray them with washing up liquid.


 I was fascinated to watch a bee entering a foxglove flower. It follows the spots inside and thanks to Springwatch, I now know that they rub past the anthers which are on the top petal. Pollen is then carried to other flowers for fertilisation.


 In this closer picture, you can clearly see the orangey yellow anthers at the top.


 This pretty little pincushion scabious seeds itself all over my garden. I have taken a plant to Freshwinds and hope it will seed there.


 Strawberries are looking good. It will soon be time to straw them and work out my strategies for keeping the mice away.


 And through the round window today, a framed view of the garden and beyond.


Here is the rockery I mentioned in my last post.
From the right, my cousin Carolyn, me, Paula my sister and a neighbour. It may have been my birthday as my hair has been curled in rags.

This poem is sooooo true for me:
There was a little girl
And she had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good she was very very good
And when she was bad she was horrid.


At home we are busy preparing for our garden opening which is a week on Sunday.
In the fairy garden I have put a fairy washing line.

The wind created pink snow under my wisteria.


 The first barn dance is tomorrow. Hope it`s not too cold.

 And finally what do you think this could be turned into?


Watch this space.







2 comments:

  1. We need some more ladybirds to sort out those greenfly - have seen very few so far this year :-(

    Love the pic of you, Paula and Carolyn on your birthday!

    And, I'm watching that space (but am not in front of the computer as much at the moment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn`t believe the size of those greenfly. The lupins didn`t stand a chance.

    ReplyDelete