Blog Archive

Monday 10 June 2013

The Magic of Foxgloves

When I was a little girl, my Dad had a beautiful rockery in our garden. I remember with great pleasure getting up close to the aubrietia, saxifrage and drumstick primulas. The amazing smell, the bees and butterflies....all part of my evocative memories. I will try to find a photo...it will be in black and white!!

We had a lot to take to the garden....cornflowers, odd French marigolds, yet more sweetpeas, thyme, a tray of nicotiania, more courgettes and runner beans.
Steve did some cobbing on his own. I dug over a rock-hard bed by the greenhouse, broke it down a bit and planted the nicotiania, well-protected with fleece and slug pellets. 
I had to tie the daisies back and tidy the grass.



At least we can get into the greenhouse now.

I cut the grass edges, tied my sweetpeas for the first time and removed the fleece.




Could I really have planted these together, catmint and geum. Next to them is yellow geum and pink geraniums....quite a mix of colours. I think we could have enough flowers for table decorations at the barn dance on Saturday.


We brought an unwanted hebe to plant from home and uncovered the cornflowers.






Tim and William have enclosed the hornbeam hedge to protect it from rabbits. I got in here today to pull up nettles, thistles, goosegrass and even some deadly nightshade. It doesn`t look very neat but I shall replace the old carpet and get some chipped bark down. I took the plastic rabbit guards off.


The foxgloves are stunning....a very magical flower in my opinion.
I grew these from seed.


One of the irises broke off in the wind so I picked my first vase of flowers to bring home.

The barn is nearly ready for the first barn dance this Saturday....a treat not to be missed.
Photos to follow and possibly some film, if I can download it.





No comments:

Post a Comment