Blog Archive

Friday 8 September 2017

Apple Harvest and Hedgehogs

Our plan was to go to the garden yesterday, but there was high drama in our lane.
The farmer in the field opposite our house, was mowing round the edges and snagged the telegraph pole cable. 
This took out our telephone cables....some snapped and others were sagging, but all four houses were disconnected.
We had to pull the wires higher to avoid accidents in the lane.
Exactly the same happened last year!!
Consequently four houses had to contact their four respective providers. Luckily the engineers were here very quickly, and after telling us what a mess it all was, had us reconnected by lunchtime.
We never did get to Freshwinds.

And we haven`t been today, due to the torrential rain. There is a definite feel of autumn and much too early in my opinion. 

Yesterday we did 5 hours of gardening at home.
(I slept very well.)

We have lots of new plans.
The shredder was on almost all day!!
Our rose garden is the scene of devastation.
I am trying to save some of my best roses.
This is Summer Wine.
It is being completely dug over due to an infestation of ground elder which intertwines with the roots of everything.
All my plants have been lifted, vetted for ground elder roots and potted up....hence an overflowing standing area by my greenhouse.
The ground will be left for a few months allowing the said pesky plant to show itself. Every tiny piece I have missed will turn into a plant. I won`t be putting in anything new for a while.
I pruned half of my fruit net.
These are the raspberries.
There is a lot of autumn fruit coming. I don`t know why but the fruit in autumn always tastes better.
The compost heap was overflowing.
 
We tidied a lot of the garden but we`ve left the huge sunflowers which have just seeded themselves all over. They have grown very quickly.
We picked our apples....
"Lanes Prince Albert." 
They are safely stored in our garden room....each one wrapped in newspaper.
Steve dug our last row of red potatoes.
I love the flavour.
 
Around the garden asters are looking good....
....borlotti beans are drying....
.....delphiniums are having a second flush.
We are very happy with our pumpkin crop.

Steve has been pickling red cabbage....
....I`ve been making pompom hedgehogs.
Interestingly a group of hedgehogs is called an array.
I thought Steve`s idea was better...
....a spike of hedgehogs.
 
To end the day, filling the house with flowers.


 


And just for fun another snake in the garden!!
 



 
 
 
 
 
 

 



.

2 comments:

  1. Aah, things are certainly moving on in your garden. We really should be doing some tidying - the weeds are loving this week's weather, but I'm not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trouble is I have loads of ideas for other areas in our own garden. Just gathering the wherewithal to cut back half of our oldest wisteria!! Not and easy decision.

    ReplyDelete