Blog Archive

Tuesday 19 September 2017

Armies of Caterpillars

The tiny fairy yurt has been dismantled for the winter.
It is sad to see it missing from the corner. 
It has been a lot of fun for visitors, both young and old.
 
It was such a lovely day and it took me some time to settle to a few clearing jobs. I was so enjoying a gentle wander round.
The first thing I saw was an army of caterpillars on the nasturtiums growing in the compost.

 













I also noticed the dahlias on the compost heap are doing very well.
The sunflowers continue to be stunning.
This is the first year that I have had vases and vases of sunflowers and it`s all because I like to grow the multi-headed ones. Of course I don`t like to admit it, but I am wondering if the impromptu pruning had anything to do with their floriferousness. 

















Anne came along and completed the clearing of the asparagus bed.
A good job done.
I made a start on the shrub bed......cutting back montbretia, cardoons, catmint and daisies......
..... it doesn`t look as if I have done much.
The dahlias were disbudded.



Other flowers enjoying the sunshine......



And once again there were myriads of butterflies and bees around.
Steve spotted a huge moth but we`re not sure what it was.
When it`s wings were open there were flashes of red.
No photos I`m afraid.
We all had a lettuce.
And I have to say the kohlrabi are much better eaten when young.
I suppose the same could be said about many vegetables.
This is another job for another day.....
weaving in the new willow growth.
The newest sedum plants on the cob shed survived the strong winds. 
 
Now the whole garden has to survive a week without us!
 
 

 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. It's still looking very Summery, I wonder if it will when you return?
    The dahlias have been fabulous this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it will all be ok..certaimly mot ax dried up as the garden here. Okra gone to seed. May bring home some to try.

    ReplyDelete