Blog Archive

Wednesday 1 August 2018

Cherry Cake and Sunshine

The day of the Pett Flower Show dawned sunny but windy ....a big improvement on last year.
The theme was 70 Glorious Years.
I entered 9 classes. The very dry weather had limited my choices.
It made things a lot easier however.
In the marquee things were very busy with people bustling around setting up their exhibits.
 
A couple of days before, entry forms are handed in.
As you go into the marquee, on the day, you are given all your entry cards. These are displayed with your exhibit.
All needed to be in place by 10.15.
 
We spent a few hours at home gardening and then went along to see how everyone had done. 
















Our onions were highly commended.
(on the tray)
 The cucumbers came first.
 
 The courgettes came 2nd.
 
 The tomatoes were highly commended.
 
General views.












My flower heads in a bowl came first.
My inspiration came from hotels in India where petals and flowers were displayed in huge bowls at entrances. They were replaced every day.











The poppy wreath came 1st. I dedicated it to my great Uncle Harry who died on HMS Hood on WW2. 

My mermaids came 3rd out of three. Ha ha.
 
My dahlias were not placed. They were pretty ropey.
I did not take a photo.
Here is the mixed class.
Someone has managed to grow some lovely ones despite the weather.

Paula got a 1st for her teddy bear sunflower and 3rd for her blackcurrant jam.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Paula`s grandchildren entered quite a few classes as well.







 Here is Aiden after receiving his very generous prize.
The prize giving.
 
Here are more pictures of the show.







 
 Cathy`s display which won best in the show
and
depictions of 
Mrs Dale`s Diary. 





Outside the tent we ate some of the cherry cake made by Aiden.
It was delicious.

It was very pleasant to catch up with friends and neighbours on a lovely day, despite being somewhat windswept.
 

2 comments:

  1. Well done for all your awards and prizes - it seems to be quite a big show!
    Also, I love your background photo - nigotiana? I really wish I'd transplanted mine now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That nicotiania seeds itself in the poly tunnel every year and is amazing.

    ReplyDelete