Blog Archive

Tuesday 14 August 2018

Tasty Tomatoes

This year, the tomatoes are not quite as prolific as usual.
There could be several reasons.
Tomatoes like heat, but perhaps not to the temperatures reached in the greenhouses.
Normally they would be touching the ceiling by now. 
Not so this time round.
Even tagetes failed.

We grew six types of tomatoes this season.
Garden Pearl .....  almost pink in colour ..... I like to pop these in my mouth as I water.
San Marzano .... a very odd shape .... somewhat hollow .... good for stuffing if you can stand them up.
 Tigerella ..... supposedly striped but not as prominent as I`d hoped.
Pomodoro Fiorentino .... lovely in salads ....very juicy ....my favourite.
Rouge Marmande
Pomodoro di Parma
 
This is today`s harvest at home.
Here is the tomato sauce we have made recently.
It takes 4 pounds of tomatoes.
 
These are the chillies I`ve harvested so far.
I`ve not been brave enough to try them as yet.
 My favourite corner at the moment.
The cosmos in the rose garden, regularly dead-headed and they haven`t minded the heat.
And I am loving the bed of annual and perenniel rudbeckia.
Most years I find it hard to get these seeds to germinate or survive to flowering. This year has been exceptional.
I think they are fussy about water in the early stages.

 
 
 
 







Even the dahlias are picking up after their dry start.
I have high hopes for the autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment