Blog Archive

Wednesday 19 May 2021

Poppies versus Potatoes

 For me this is a no-brainer but perhaps when those first potatoes are being dug up, I may change my mind.

Steve and I are always fighting over space but usually come to some amicable arrangement which means flowers along the edges of every veggie bed.

But perhaps this is going a little bit too far.

And bearing in mind that Steve has already removed quite a few. However this time, I do not take responsibility as they are self-seeded.

These will be those beautiful papery poppies. The potatoes can be seen just emerging in the top right hand corner.

Everything has gone mad in the last few days.... an unbelievable growth spurt. The grass needs cutting, the beds need weeding and dozens and dozens of plants need to go in.

Today we concentrated on tomatoes and borlotti beans.

Big Daddy, Akron, Costaluto, Princepe Borghese.

I couldn`t bear to pull out this borage which is attracting bees. So for now it stays.


The nasturtiums have self-seeded again. They look beautiful.

It was an ideal day to weed and admire the quince blossom just opening.

I save lots of seed and scatter it anywhere and everywhere.

This is corncockle.

And dotted around, all kinds of poppy seedlings coming up.


Even sunflowers have self-seeded

The next big job will be the many sunflowers (grown from seed) that I intend planting but I`m unwilling to do it before the winds forecast for Friday.
Oh and sweetcorn.
Plenty to do.

3 comments:

  1. So much to do! And now so many weeds to clear! Come on weather, we need some plot-time! Do you eat your borlotti fresh? I think they’re the tastiest dried beans

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually dry ours. I did get 17 sunflowers in today.

    ReplyDelete