Blog Archive

Saturday 8 May 2021

Pots of Blue and Bumblebees Too

 This is the coldest and driest spring I ever remember. At least we are getting some rain now. The advantages are out-weighed by the disadvantages. For instance the tulips have lasted much longer but the magnolia was ruined quite soon into flowering.

The disadvantages are the reluctance to chance anything either in the ground or with hardening off. I`ve learnt to my cost that seedlings going straight into the ground followed by cold, are not going to be successful .... radishes, coriander ..... but at least the beetroot came up.

The greenhouses are only just starting to thin out with hardier stuff under temporary tunnels. It is a bit of an eye-opener to read in my diary that this time last year the tomatoes were in.

But things must be looking up as my mason bees are hatching and exploring the bee home. This massive bumblebee was caught in the garden room and not released until I had a couple of decent photos.
A funny thing happened with my mesembryanthemum seeds. I only managed to germinate enough for one precious trayful. The soil was tipped into a bucket and from there used to pot up my dahlia pot luck pots. Yesterday I found said seedlings have germinated on top of the dahlia pots!!!

What is to be learnt from this? That seeds will come up when they are good and ready? I will be pricking them out from here now.

I have masses of "pot luck" dahlias. These are pieces that break away over winter, usually single tubers. I pot them all up as I can`t bear to throw them away. And they make a wonderful show.

This is probably about half of them. If you are coming yurting you might be lucky and find some at the little nursery. Who knows what you will get?

All my cornflowers are now in the ground, also lavatera, sweetpeas and some cosmos. Steve has got a lot of the green stuff in ..... kale, broccolli, sprouts, red cabbage, all protected from, mainly pigeons.

The rest will have to wait as the spring show, at home, is in its full glory.

I haven`t heard the cuckoo yet. Now there`s a bird who has some sense and stayed away til its warmer.

I have always loved Gardeners World but I have to say that I am getting fed up with repeated features from previous years and a fixation with cats and dogs. It seems like they have trouble filling up the hour slots. However I have enjoyed their features on viewers gardens. The 13 year old boy with his succulent collection was great, last night but I`m not so keen on a 10 minute slot on the history of lawns!!!
My cousin Belinda has suggested a program called Beechgrove which we are going to try tonight.

In the meantime, simple forgetmenots in a pot are gladdening my heart.


And camassias in bloom.







2 comments:

  1. They are great bumblebee photos. We’ve had enough rain now 🙄 Never happy with the weather these days! I hope you enjoy Beechgrove

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we did. Thank you for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete