Blog Archive

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Pickling Paradise and Bumblebees

It`s been hot. The gardens have been full of all kinds of insects including bumblebees and butterflies..
If you want to know which plants will attract bees you couldn`t go far wrong with cardoons....a statuesque plant which needs space but my goodness it will repay with the bumblebees it attracts. This one is in our garden but I am hoping to get some started at Freshwinds. They really are quite spectacular.
This little film may make you feel seasick....it wasn`t my filming technique but a slight breeze.


I did notice the little blobs on this bee`s back but it wasn`t til I had a closer look on my computer that I realised that it was a colony of mites. I thought it was pollen!!

Is this one of the problems with our bumblebbes?
More pictures.


I also spotted this tiny butterfly on our lavender. I have not yet been able to identify it. I hope Belinda can help.


The edges of the wings are worth a closer look.
 

These are my cucumelons soaking in brine ready to be pickled. They might be a bit like gherkins.

 
 Pickled onions.


Pickled red cabbage.


What to do with all the cucumbers!! There are 5 more on the table and 4 were given away this morning.


There are now enough tomatoes to make our own tomato sauce.


Our chilli collection so far. The two in the bottom right hand corner are called "Heat Wave." Haven`t tried them yet. The pleasure!!!! is still to come.













Steve has been busy building an owl nesting box for one of the barns.


















 I have been making owl cushions and using an old pattern from the 70`s 
to make this rather retro owl toy.

Great summer so far...... a swim in the sea this a.m. at Pett Level....... extremely calm, 
like a millpond as they say, but it was cold!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment