Blog Archive

Monday 9 December 2013

Compost, Christmas Cakes and Fairies

A few blog entries ago, I think I mentioned that I never turned compost. Well today I have.
When we arrived at the garden, we found a huge pile of chipped wood from Andy and a load of manure at the far entrance. I changed my plans a little.

I decided to begin covering some paths around the little orchard and around the bottoms of the trees.


My main job for the morning was to get started on the compost heaps.
I did quite a lot more than I had anticipated. I found quite a lot of dried stuff, some of which I kept separate in order to burn it.


I eventually got down to the better stuff. It is just about OK but I`m sure there are weed seeds in it.


No wonder I was filthy when I got home.
Here I am turning it from one to the other and stamping it down at the same time. There were lots of spaces due to plant material not being broken up enough and therefore taking up more space. No wonder they filled up so quickly. We need to take the shredder up a bit more often.

 









A pile still to deal with by the side.












By the end of the morning the pile had gone down.....but not the manure yet.

Back at home, I got stuck into completing my mini Christmas cakes.

















After that I settled down by the fire to make five Christmas wreaths.




















My niece Hazel, has just texted to ask for some fairies for their Christmas tree.
Here are some I made at the weekend.

All in all a very satisfying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment