Blog Archive

Saturday 21 December 2013

Pompom Toy

I was recently watching Kirsty Allsop`s crafty program on television and saw her demonstrate a new gadget to make pompoms. I was fascinated. I usually make my pompoms with two circles of cardboard.
We sent off for some and I think we may have been lucky to get them because there was a run on orders after the program.
Here they are....


Last night I made 12 pompoms very quickly indeed and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
I left long wool ends on each one.


A few weeks ago I bought some fat quarters in a lovely range of colours.


From these I cut and basted 12 fabric pentagons with paper patterns inside, 
pressed them and sewed round the edges 
with blanket stitch on my machine.


Next I sewed the pentagons into a sphere, by hand.
I made the sphere in two halves then sewed the pompoms on each pentagon by using the long wool ends and securing well with several knots.
I then pinned the two halves together, leaving two sections open. I turned it right side out and stuffed it firmly, ensuring each corner was well shaped.
I ladder-stitched the opening to form the complete ball.


It is quite satisfying to throw and catch.
Next question.....
Who is it for? 
Not sure yet.

1 comment: