Blog Archive

Friday 17 January 2014

Sock Toy Tips.

Regular readers will know that I have been busy making sock toys.
I have really enjoyed myself. There are now 20 toys adorning our living room.
Most of them are zebras but I did try one tiger with orange and black stripes.

There are lots of ideas and patterns on the web.

Here are a few tips for anyone who wants to make their own.

1. Your sewing machine will need a needle for knitted /jersey fabric.
2. Keep the sock whole whilst you do machining and only cut between the rows of stitches afterwards.
3. Stuff the toy very lightly. The toy will be much floppier and can be put into different positions.
4. Keep the stuffing at the body end of the limbs very very light which ensures 
easy movement of arms and legs.
5. Stripy socks are a lot of fun and most especially those that have a contrasting toe and rim.
6. I started off using matching wool for manes but then found a complete contrast made a lot of difference and I am sure it will be more attractive to young children. 
7. Buy socks when they are in the sales, to keep the costs down.

You will find that the sock fabric is very forgiving and mistakes are easily covered.
It`s great fun.
I hope you are inspired to have a go.




4 comments:

  1. Dear Jen
    I hate to say it but i think you may have a problem, if you answer yes to any of the following questions you need to seek help immediately!
    1 Are you able to pass a rack of stripy socks in a shop without buying any.
    2 if you see people wearing stripy socks to you start talking to them obout sock toys
    3 Do you dream of zebras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Well I do have a confession to make. When I saw Aiden`s stripy socks today, I was heard to say that they would make good tigers!!! Haven`t dreamt about zebras but I did dream about badgers last night!!!? And yes I did appear to be slightly obsessed ....but I ask myself who started it all. Really though, thanks....I have enjoyed every minute. I am making patchwork bags now, from recycled legs of jeans.

    ReplyDelete