Blog Archive

Wednesday 15 January 2014

Stumperies


Recently we`ve had a whole series of gardening programmes, called The Great British Garden Revival.

Each gardener is trying to save Britain's horticultural heritage.
I don`t think the subject matter has all gone out of fashion but things have certainly moved on 
since I began gardening.
Here are some of the titles....
Ponds and stumperies
Glasshouses and shrubs
Fruit trees and ormamental bedding

You can find more information on the BBC website

I was particularly interested in the programme about stumperies and Anne and I were soon texting each other about the idea of a stumpery at Freshwinds, where it could go, and what to have in it etc. 
All quite exciting.
 After all the gales and storms, there are many trees down. We`ve seen more, on a walk in the woods today.
Anne had a walk in their own woods and found quite a few down.
I have several family members who are tree surgeons....
so watch this space.

Prince Charles gardens at Highgrove have a well-established stumpery.
See....
I think the area will have to be damp and shady, in order for ferns and moss to thrive.
There might even be a few nooks and crannies for fairy gardens.
 
 This is the Highgrove stumpery. 
 the stumpery, Highgrove  I & J Bannerman - Garden designers and builders.  The Prince of Wales' garden
 
 Lots to keep my mind busy in these winter months.

No comments:

Post a Comment