Blog Archive

Saturday 20 February 2016

Easter Ducks and New Projects

It was a miserable day with a bit of rain in the air, but we decided to go and pot up the new strawberry runners. My nephew Toby gave me the runners at the end of the summer. 
I plonked them in the ground.
This year we will be discarding the old 
strawberry bed and growing strawberries in the polytunnel in pots raised up from the ground.
The runners have made good strong plants. I`ve put two to a pot.

Each pot had a trowelful of manure, a handful of chicken manure and some odd molehill soil from around the garden. Fingers crossed for a good crop this year.

Kohlrabi in the polytunnel is fattening up nicely.

We began to seriously consider the new area for the compost heaps.
We are hoping to be able to reconstruct the huge water containers.


I began clearing the path of nettle roots.





















We even began digging out a compost heap.
It was surprisingly dry and we went over halfway down before we came to anything worth putting on the garden. But when we got to it, it wasn`t bad at all.























Steve pulled up some of the sprouts.


On the way out of the farm yard we stopped to view the little toy car. I have some plans for this.

We were glad to get home to light the fire.

I cleaned the gladioli stored in my greenhouse at home.....the colours are reminiscent of the helichrysum flowers.


Lots more crochet going on at home..
I am trying chicks for Easter next





4 comments:

  1. That kohl rabi looks really good! No slug or beetle damage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to carry water a long way in can to water it all. Not worth getting the hose out yet.

      Delete
  2. Looks like your ground is dry enough to walk on. Nice...
    I like the look of the gladioli. I am hoping to grow some of those but need to make the flower bed first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are last years corms. Aldi have their new ones in. Get yourself some....they were fantastic. 50 for £1. You can`t go wrong. I bought another pack last week as well as packs of 4 fat dahlia tubers for £1.

      Delete