Blog Archive

Sunday 14 February 2016

Valentine Memories

Five years ago this month we began the Freshwinds Garden.
Anne and I were only talking about our memories last week.....
.....and planning new projects.
 
It was a rough field back then...

 .....here it is now.





I remember the nettles, the brambles, the docks and the burdock.....all very hard work.
I split my brand-new Le Chameau wellies and they had to be replaced.


The entrance was just a track with an old chicken run on the right.
Here it is now.....


I also remember that there was nowhere to shelter from the wind when we had teabreaks.
We just hunkered down behind the old pig sty, sitting on an old pallet.
Now we can sit in the polytunnel on our special chairs or bask in the sun in several shelterd areas.




Just look at the "grass," yet by the end of that summer, it had all grassed over.











Then and now.





My first job was this huge raised bed.
It has been a fantastic growing space.


Then ......


















........now.









On the right is the future site of the pond and the cob shed.
It wasn`t even part of the garden at that time. It was just a patch of brambles.


There was no compost area at that time and most of what we dug out had to be burned so a huge heap formed on the site of the present mini-orchard.




The present compost heaps are due to be moved this spring.
New plans are afoot.......watch this space.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to pinch myself but I remember thinking at the time....the opportunity to create a garden from a field only comes once in a lifetime (I think)

      Delete
  2. It's incredible to see what has become of that old space and how anything is possible if you put your mind to it x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see it before? I seem to remember talking to someone who knew it beforehand. Wish we`d taken more "before" pictures.
      I honed my 700 odd photos for 2015 right down to bare essentials.

      Delete
  3. Aah, look what can be achived in 5 years - with A LOT of hard work! But isn't it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we`ve enjoyed every minute including escaped sheep and the rabbits. Ha ha

      Delete